A PI Historian is a real-time data historian developed by OSIsoft. The PI Historian records data values over time in a proprietary time-series database. All different types of data can be recorded and each distinct piece of data is known as a PI tag. For a given PI tag, you record its events or data values over time. The recording of different data over time allows for historic data graphing and analysis, for example:
- Watch free disk space degrade over time in a Microsoft Data Center
- Monitor a valve for an evironmental release in a production facility
- Record which lot of raw material went into a batch of Tylenol
- Monitor power usage on a turbine power skid in Iraq
- Monitor the temperature of your tropical fish tank
- Monitor Search Engine rankings for a keyword phrase
The use of a data historian is widespread and growing more diverse every day! Automated Results has been working with this product and it’s manufacturer since 1996. The OSIsoft PI System brings all operational data into a single system that can deliver it to users at all levels of the company – from the plant floor to senior management.
OSIsoft PI Application
PI is a real-time data historian application with a highly efficient time-series database structured developed by OSIsoft. PI stands for Process Information. This application can efficiently record data from process control systems (ex. DCS, PLC) into a compressed time series database. Customers are using PI systems to record, analyze, and monitor real-time information such as:
- Process (Valves, Pumps, Flows, Pressures, Levels)
- Products, Batches, Campaigns, and Production Runs
- Product Geneology from raw material to final product
- Environmental and Safety
- IT Systems and Network equipment
The PI application has an array of components to handle user’s needs with the ability to add custom software components if needed. You can start with a basic implementation and add more functionality, more tags, and more client licenses as justified over time. Some of the note-worthy components are:
ProcessBook — Process Graphic design and display
DataLink — Add-in to Excel for tabular data analysis
PIBatch — Associate a time interval with a label (Batch, Campaign, Run, Shift, etc)
PIAce — Event driven custom logic, advanced equations
PISQC — Statistical Quality Control graphs and analysis
PI WebParts — Web based graphical and tabular display of PI data
Real-time and Historical Data
Unlike a DCS or HMI that can display real-time data within a short term time horizon, PI allows manufacturing sites to view data real-time as well as easily look back at data from years ago. There are times when it’s useful to graphically overlay or compare tabular data from multiple time ranges (ex. compare a current production campaign against a known good production run from a year ago). This is possible with PI ProcessBook and PI DataLink.
OSIsoft PI Application: A Central Repository
The OSIsoft PI database with real-time data acquisition offers a central repository for data through a facility or across multiple locations. Information can be automatically collected from many different sources (Control systems, Lab equipment, Calculations, Manual Entry, and/or Custom software). Most information is gathered using one of the many OSIsoft and third partyPI Interfaces. Users can then access this information using a common set of tools (ex. Excel, web browser, ProcessBook) and look for correlations:
- Analyze seasonal trends
- Determine if utilities is not meeting the demands of production
- Compare the performance of different lots of raw material
- Determine when maintenance is required on equipment
- Optimize the utilization or performance of a production line
There are countless uses for a Process Historian; we are continuously amazed at the creative uses of PI (Digital Dashboard) and the types of data (ex. Financial) being recorded by our clients.
Do you know, How to
- Gather Event-Driven Data, In Real-Time, From Multiple Sources across the Plant and/or Enterprise?
- Apply Advanced Analytical Calculations and Business Rules to Contextualise and Analyse The Data?
- Configure Smart and Thin Client Tools to Distribute and Visualise Knowledge/ Information to Display Critical Operational Metrics?
- Integrate the User Experience across Different Roles within the Enterprise.
Need Help Related to Questions stated above?
GeoViz is a team of experienced technical and business professionals that help our customers to achieve their ‘Operations and Maintenance Performance Management’ goals. Our experts minimize inefficiencies 360 degrees focusing Assets, Processes, Technology, Materials, People, Infrastructure, and Energy. GeoViz serves client inside North America specifically USA and Canada while physically serving clients in the cities of Seattle, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa, Monreal, London, Kitchener, Windsor, Detroit. Feel free to contact us or Drop us a note for any help or assistance.
Drop Us A Note
[gravityform id=”2″ name=”Drop us a Note” title=”false” description=”false” ajax=”true”]